All of the hoopla around “Not your father’s this, not your mother’s that…” is really just a bunch of nonsense when it comes to chocolate chip cookies. When it comes to chocolate chip cookies, you WANT them to taste just like Mom’s.
There are a few make-ahead options for chocolate chip cookies. I like to make up the dough ahead of time and stick it in my refrigerator for up to 3 days. It is also perfect to have on hand in my freezer, and will last a few months. When choosing to make the dough ahead and store either in the fridge or freezer, be sure to wrap the dough tightly so it doesn’t run the risk of drying out. If you decide to freeze the dough, you can bake the cookies without thawing out, just add a couple extra minutes to the bake time. The last make-ahead option is to go ahead and bake the cookies, let cool completely, and then wrap in an air-tight container and store for up to 3 months. This is especially handy as cookies thaw out in no time and you can simply grab them, all ready to go, as you need them.
Mom’s Chocolate Chip & Pecan CookiesCuisine: Dessert, Cookies, Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies, Chocolate Chip CookiesDifficulty: Easy
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup raw pecans, roughly chopped
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. If you are using a kitchen mixer, use a high speed. Beat until creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well in between additions.
- Slowly add the flour mixture, beating at a low speed.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes if possible. (This step can be skipped, however the BEST cookies from my own experience result in dough thoroughly chilled.) Go get on with your day if you need to and come back to step 8 when you are ready!
- After the dough chills for 30 minutes, set out at room temperature for 20 minutes more.
- Drop the dough using a rounded tablespoon scoop, or round ice cream scoop, onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool cookies 1-2 minutes and then gently move them to a cooling rack. Allow cookies to cool completely.
- If you skip Step 7, you will still have delicious cookies, however, they will not be as moist and delectable. This step also allows you to go about your day and come back to the cookies later as they do not need to be made all in one time frame.