It has drastically cooled down in North Texas and along with early December weather in my house comes loads of soup. Soup is so easy to make ahead and once everything is chopped and measured, the cook times are generally short – especially with meatless soups.
Unfortunately, the cold weather also brings about peak allergy sensitivities for many and my dear friend, Anna, let me know she was having a terrible headache and sinus issues this morning. I just KNEW my Potato and Mushroom Leek Soup would be just the thing she needed for lunch to lift her spirits and warm her right up. My Potato and Mushroom Leek Soup has savory cremini mushrooms, golden potatoes, fresh leeks, carrots, and garlic – all brought together with a generous amount of dill that gives a unique depth of flavor not found in ordinary potato soups.
This is a hearty soup despite being a meatless soup. I do use a chicken broth, but if you want to make this full out vegetarian, I think a vegetable broth would be delicious, too. For quick make-ahead tips, chop and dice your veggies beforehand and you’ll be looking at a cook time of only 35 minutes from pot to bowl. You can make this soup ahead by up to 3 days in advance. I would not recommend freezing this soup, as potatoes do not generally freeze well – but I have no doubt you will have any trouble finishing this soup, with no need to figure out what to do with any leftovers. 😉
Potato and Mushroom Leek SoupDifficulty: Easy
My Potato and Mushroom Leek Soup has savory cremini mushrooms, golden potatoes, fresh leeks, carrots, and garlic – all brought together with a generous amount of dill that gives a unique depth of flavor not found in ordinary potato soups.
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound fresh cremini mushrooms, washed, trimmed, and sliced
1 leek, cleaned and sliced thinly
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
1 garlic clove, minced
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
1 pound golden potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup buttermilk
Crumbled bacon, chives, or fresh dill for garnish
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the cremini mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove mushrooms from pot and set aside.
- Add the leeks and carrots to the large pot and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 60 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, dill, salt, pepper, bay leaf and potatoes. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Using a masher or an immersion blender, mash about 1/3 to 1/4 of the potatoes to thicken the soup.
- Stir the cooked cremini mushrooms back in to the soup.
- Slowly pour in the heavy cream and buttermilk, stir to combine. Season to taste.
- Garnish with chives or other option. Serve warm.
- Use the Potato and Mushroom Leek Soup within about 3 days for maximum freshness.