Happy Halloween! Great to see you at The Work from Home Chef today. I just love Halloween, seriously everything about it, but I especially love pumpkins – which is part of Halloween, too. I have many decorative pumpkins and pumpkin dishes around my house and I also love eating and drinking ALL the pumpkin flavors. I think one of the reasons for this might be because of a special, sentimental pumpkin my Grandmother made for me. She was quite gifted at ceramics and she passed when I was very young. Although that part still makes my heart sink, she left such a loving and creative memory for me and she still lives on with me because of that. She had such a great sense of humor and told us before she passed that if we weren’t good, she would haunt us! 🙂 Sometimes I act up, just to see if she will keep her word. Lol I’ve pictured her lovely pumpkin below – you’ll see it has a few wounds from one of the many moves I’ve made in the last decade:
Anyway, this Pumpkin Sheet Cake has been a recipe in my family for as long as I can remember. My mom used to make them every year and I even requested this as a birthday cake on more than one occasion. You can really taste the bold spiced pumpkin flavor and the buttercream frosting is a huge win. You can make the cake up first and store it, and then frost the cake when you are ready to make the frosting if you can’t do this all in one go. This cake is rustic but delicious looking and I just know it will become a family favorite for you as well.
Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Buttercream FrostingDifficulty: Easy
This pumpkin cake is one of the easiest AND most satisfying desserts to bake to bring to a fall party or to make as a festive dessert for your family.
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 15-ounce can pumpkin
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
8-ounce cream cheese (1 block), at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
- Pumpkin Bars
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, and oil and mix thoroughly. Add the pumpkin and stir until the mixture is well combined.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin spice and salt. Once combined, to the pumpkin mixture and stir until smooth.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean once inserted in the middle. Let cool completely.
- Buttercream Frosting
- Using an electric mixer, combine the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until smooth. Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix on low until well combined.
- Spread on cooled pumpkin cake and enjoy!
- This dessert is easy to make ahead and will last in the fridge for about 3-4 days (unless your family eats them first).
- If you are breaking these steps up, just cool the pumpkin cake completely, cover with plastic wrap, and store in the fridge until you are ready to make the frosting.